Join The Wellness Initiative mailing list:
The Wellness Initiative News
The mission of The Wellness Initiative is to improve the physical health, social and emotional development, and academic performance of low-income youth through yoga-based wellness programs.
With the help of yoga classes provided by The Wellness Initiative, students at Florence Crittenton High School find moments of peace as they learn to cope with the challenges of parenting.
This is the story of two Colfax Elementary School students, Zulema and Liam. The Wellness Initiative's programs teach students how to strengthen their bodies, calm their minds, and control their anger; we give them tools to live healthier, happier lives and to handle life's challenges with grace.
What The Wellness Initiative students are saying
We asked third-through-fifth-grade students at Colfax Elementary School in Denver what yoga means to them. Below are a few of their answers.
- something that makes you healthy and strong.
- [something] to calm you down. And if you have stress on your mind, it will clear your head.
- a place where you relax.
- [a time] when you calm your madness and get exercise.
- about getting happy.
- something that helps your body have more energy.
- a way to express yourself.
- concentration and being focused.
- something you can do to feel peaceful.
- [a way] to concentrate in your imagination.
- like exercise but different. Yoga makes you healthy.